Thursday, July 13, 2017

All Dodgers team 1965-2016, pitchers



Image Courtesy of Bing

Alright, I cheated a little bit on this one. I generally like for a player to have three years of playing time from 1965 on, but I put Sandy Koufax on the team anyway. As an old guy, I think Sandy was the greatest pitcher I've ever seen. Therefor, I fudged a little bit.

Starter: Sandy Koufax As I stated before, to me, Sandy was the best. His last two seasons were 1965-66. He was absolutely dominant. In 1965 Koufax had a record of 26-8 with an ERA of 2.04. Sandy pitched a whopping 335.2 innings while striking out 382. The next season his record was 27-9 and he had an even lower ERA of 1.73. Again he pitched over 300 innings and stuck out over 300. Koufax was also excellent from 1962-64. The next guy is great, but I'd still take Sandy.

Starter: Clayton Kershaw Okay, I think of Kershaw as Koufax lite. As I'm writing this, Kershaw is working on another great season. Clayton has won 21 games twice and is on his way to another 20 win season. He also lead the National League in ERA from 2011-14. I could go on, but you get the picture. This guy is very, very good.

Starter: Don Drysdale By 1965, Don Drysdale was on the back end of a great career. Still, from 1965-68 Don was a formidable pitcher. In 65, Don went 23-12 while pitching over 300 innings. From 66-69 Don was still an effective workhorse. By putting Drysdale in this slot, I probably squeezed Orel Hershiser off the team. But, hey, it's my team. You may disagree and you may be right.

Starter: Don Sutton Though unspectacular, Don is one of the most consistently good starters I've come across. In 16 years with the Dodgers, Sutton went 233-181 with an ERA of 3.09. Don won in double figures every year, maxing out at 19 in 1974. It must have been reassuring to Tommy Lasorda to have Sutton in his rotation all those years.

Starter: Fernando Valenzuela Fernando was not only an effective pitcher, he was fun to watch. Fernando mania was contagious in Dodger Stadium from 1981-90. (He made a brief appearance in 1980) Fernando's record during his stay with the Dodgers was 141-116. His ERA was 3.31. Fernando may not be the best pitcher on this staff, but he may have been the most entertaining.

Relief pitcher: Kenley Jansen I knew Jansen was good, I just didn't realize he has been good as long as he has been. Since 2010 Jansen has averaged at least 13 strikeouts per 9 innings. His walks per 9 innings have also progressively gone done. Currently he's probably on of the top three relievers in baseball.

Relief pitcher: Eric Gagne From 1982-84 Gagne was dominant. Coincidentally, he pitched 82.1 innings in each of those seasons. His save totals during those three years were 52-55-45. Before Kelsey Jansen there was Eric Gagne.

Relief pitcher: Todd Worrell I'm really not that sold on this choice, but I gave Worrell this slot over Ron Perronoski. From 19925-97 Worrell had 32-44-35 saves. His ERA went up progressively during those years. Todd takes the final slot, but I don't have a lot of conviction in the choice.

Those are my choices, what are yours?


No comments:

Post a Comment