Monday, November 6, 2017

Cubs will be busy this offseason




Image Courtesy of Bing


Now that baseball's offseason is officially here, look for the Cubs to be one of MLB's most active teams. One of my favorite websites, MLBTradeRumors.com, has predictions of where the top 50 free agents would end up. They had the Cubs signing Yu Darvish along with relievers Jake McGee and Addison Reed. I don't agree with the Yu Darvish signing prediction, but I do think the Jake McGee thing could happen. I base that in part on the fact the Cubs could use a hard throwing left hander out of the pen and the fact McGee has a history with Joe Maddon and new pitching coach, Jim Hickey.

More help for the pen?


I also wouldn't rule out the Addison Reed thing. Reed has done some nice setup work, but has also closed in the past. Yu Darish sends up a lot of red flags and figures to be overpriced, even by free agent standards. I do look for the Cubs to be huge players in the Alex Cobb sweepstakes. Maddon and Hickey also have a history with Cobb. Cobb, who underwent Tommy John surgery in 2015 finished the 2017 season with a 12-10 record and an ERA of 3.66. 

Will Cubs tie Cobb up?


The Tampa Bay Rays have made a qualifying offer of $17.4 million to Cobb, but I doubt he'll take it. Cobb worked 179.1 innings last season, but health concerns could limit the market a bit. While the Rays' qualifying offer may slow down some teams. MLB Trade Rumors has Cobb going to the Twins for 4 years at $48 million. I think he'll pull down more than that.

I would guess the Cubs will sign Cobb for 4 years at $60 million. Some think of Cobb as a back of the rotation starter, but I think with continued health, he's a 3, maybe even a two. Even if the Cubs sign Cobb, they need another starter. I look for them to trade one or more of Kyle Schwarber, Ian Happ, Addison Russell and Javy Baez. Chris Archer is an obvious trade choice. 

Pick a Cub, any Cub


Of the four guys I listed as possible Cubs trade candidates, the order in which I hate to see them go is Addison Russell, Javy Baez, Ian Happ and Kyle Schwarber. I think Russell is still a better defensive shortstop than Javy Baez and is more likely to develop as a hitter. As great and versatile defender as Baez is, I'm not sure he'll ever develop enough plate discipline to be a really excellent offensive player. Happ is a bat first guy who would probably be helped by settling in at one position, either left field or second base.

Kyle Schwarber would be best served as a DH capable of hitting 40+ home runs. He has real trade value.

More soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment