Saturday, March 10, 2018

Browns kickoff NFL offseason activity

Image Courtesy of Bing

After spending a lot of my time working a baseball project, I'll be back to doing more conventional posts on my sports blog. The Blackhawks are in the tank for this season, and probably the foreseeable future. The Bulls are losing so blatantly the NBA called them on it. So that leaves the NFL offseason. I'll deal with that now.

Browns make first move, is it a false start?


The Cleveland Browns have been making a ton off moves. They've traded for Jarvis Landry, Tyrod Taylor and Packers cornerback, Damarious Randall. They should make them a bit better, but I'm still not that impressed. Landry is a slot receiver and Taylor doesn't strike me as the best type of quarterback for him. Speaking of Taylor, I don't really know what the Browns accomplished with acquiring him. He figures to be a stopgap at best. 

Randall is a former first round draft choice, who reportedly had issues with his attitude in Green Bay. I'm not sure that going to Cleveland will help. The Browns have picked up some players that aren't bad individually, I'm not sure if they help the Browns move the needle in the right direction collectively. I'm not sure this is the best allocation of some of the massive assets the Browns had at their disposal this offseason.

Can Richard Lewis still cover his mouth?


The Seattle Seahawks have cut Sherman Lewis. I'm not bullish on him, either. He's coming off an Achilles injury. Lewis has been a cornerback who talked a lot, but generally backed it up. In view of his age and recent injury history, I'm not sure he can back it up. If he can't, he could be a locker room issue.

Who comes between the Bears and their Calvin?


The Bears are in a position to really do some good in free agency and the draft. The Bears desperately need help at receiver. Based on that need, some mock drafts show the Bears drafting Alabama's Calvin Ridley. I hope not. Based on the Bears recent draft history, I hope they don't go there again. The odor of the Kevin White pick is still lingering. Of course, the same could be said for the wide receivers they picked up via free agency. Still, I like their chances of improving by going that route.

The obvious top choice is Jaguars receiver, Allen Robinson. If he's over his knee injury, is like a better Alshon Jeffery. Kansas City Chiefs receiver, Albert Wilson seems like a natural fit based on his relationship with new Bears head coach, Matt Nagy. The Rams Sammy Watkins represents a possible field stretcher, but is more of a long shot for the Bears.

If the Bears supplement their receivers corps through free agency, that would free them up to upgrade their offensive line, defensive backfield and pass rush through the draft.. While Ryan Pace's record in the draft is spotty and in free agency is poor, there is a real opportunity to upgrade the Bears. What's available in the draft and what's available free agency lines up pretty well with what the Bears need.

If the Bears aren't significantly better this season, it's on Ryan Pace.


You might also enjoy my tshirts.



No comments:

Post a Comment